Instructions Following a Deep Cleaning (Scaling & Root Planing)
Following scaling and root planing, you can expect to notice less redness, less bleeding and less swelling of your gum tissue. Your mouth will taste better and feel better. Your gum health can be maintained with proper home care and regular professional care.
- Discomfort or pain should not be acute and should subside in a few hours, definitely within a few days. Discomfort immediately after treatment is usually associated with slight aching and occasional may be uncomfortable. This discomfort usually subsides in about four hours. (For discomfort you may take Advil, Motrin, and Aleve.) Avoid Aspirin containing compounds as they may increase the amount of initial bleeding.
- Teeth may be sensitive to temperature changes and/or sweets. Sensitivity to temperature may be noticeable the first several days and usually diminishes quickly. Application of desensitizing fluoride will be recommended.
- Some slight bleeding may occur during the next several brushings but should steadily decrease.
- As the gums heal they might change their shape around the teeth. This is normal as they tighten up and shrink during healing.
INSTRUCTIONS TO MINIMIZE SYMPTOMS
- If extensive root planning was performed, chewing hard foods such as meet or raw vegetables may be uncomfortable; this should last no longer than a few days. A diet of softer consistency would be advised until chewing becomes more comfortable.
- For the first few days, brush and floss the areas lightly. By the end of the week, normal intensity of brushing and flossing should resume.
HEALING WILL NOT OCCUR IF PLAQUE AND BACTERIA ARE NOT REMOVED FROM TEETH ON A DAILY BASIS.
Some bleeding and tenderness may be noted when cleaning your teeth during this period. This is a part of the normal healing process and should diminish within a few days.
- Special hygiene aids were given to you at your first scaling and root planning visit. It is important to follow the instructions regarding use of these aids. We would be happy to review their proper usage at any time.
PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE (949-916-7800) AT ANY TIME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS.
Click Here to Download and Print these Instructions