You’ve probably heard of Invisalign or known someone who’s had the treatment to improve their smile. But what exactly is Invisalign, and how does it work?
What is the treatment process with Invisalign?
Invisalign is a system of clear aligners that straighten teeth without traditional braces, giving you a new way to straighten your smile.
Invisalign uses three-dimensional computer imaging technology to create a digital model of your teeth. This model is used to fabricate a series of flexible, durable, clear aligners designed to move your teeth into their ideal position using a series of incremental steps.
Each clear aligner is custom-made for you, based on how your teeth are positioned and how much correction you need. You wear each set of aligners for about two weeks before receiving the next in the series.
Here’s an overview of the Invisalign process:
- Your dentist will take an impression of your teeth and send it to Invisalign. Your custom Invisalign aligner trays will be created based on these impressions.
- You’ll pick up your first Invisalign trays from your dentist, who’ll ensure that they fit well. You’ll wear the aligners at least 20 hours per day for two weeks, removing them only to eat and brush your teeth
- Your next Invisalign aligner trays will arrive in the mail, one set every two weeks.
- When your teeth are in their ideal position, wearing a retainer will help keep your new smile beautiful.
Who is a good candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign is an excellent choice for teens over age 15 and adults who want to straighten their teeth without using traditional braces. Invisalign can treat a variety of different orthodontic issues, including:
- Crooked teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Open bite
- Minor crossbite
After an initial exam, your dentist can advise whether Invisalign is right for you.
How long does Invisalign treatment take?
The length of treatment depends on the complexity of your case but typically ranges between 12-18 months. It’s essential to comply with your dentist’s instructions for optimal results.
What are the benefits of Invisalign over traditional braces?
Braces used to be the only option for straightening teeth, but Invisalign provides similar results without the noticeable wires and brackets you get with traditional metal braces.
Invisalign has several advantages over metal braces, including:
- Fewer office visits are needed because you change your aligners at home.
- No wires, brackets, or rubber bands are required.
- Aligners are generally more comfortable than metal braces and blend discreetly with your natural teeth.
- Maintaining oral hygiene is easier because you can remove the aligners to brush and floss your teeth.
- You don’t have to give up your favorite foods because you remove the aligners before eating.
Invisalign is comfortable to wear, as well as discreet. You can eat, drink and speak normally while wearing Invisalign.
Learn More About Invisalign
Invisalign is an effective alternative to traditional metal braces and an excellent option for many patients. If you want to learn more about Invisalign or if you’re ready for an improved, attractive smile, contact us today at Aliso Smiles. Give us a call at 949-916-7800 to schedule a consultation!